Georgetown's shady lanes and cobblestone streets reflect another side of the Capital.
It is Washington's genteel, southern side where Presidents lived when they were just Congressmen.
It's where the Founding Fathers laid out the plans for the city on a tavern bar top, and where historic churches offer services.
A diverse history from the Nacotchtank tribe, to a prosperous free Black community, to Cold War Spies - Georgetown has a lot of stories to share.
Not to be confused with our Ghosts of Georgetown Tour, our Historic Georgetown tour focuses on the houses and sites of a town that still invokes the image of refinement and class after 300 years.
- C&O Canal
- The Old Stone House
- Kennedy Homes
- Martin's Tavern
- Georgetown's Historic Churches
- Georgetown University
- Diverse architecture and history of this city older than D.C
We will discuss the history and development of this neighborhood, along with some of its secrets!
Note: We will view the above sites and homes from the street and will not be entering any residences.
Our own tour guide Canden has published a book on the wicked side of Georgetown's history!
Reservations: REQUIRED. Click here to reserve.
When: View our Calendar
Where: Tour begins at the C&O Canal at Lock 3, between 30th and Thomas Jefferson NW (map)
Purchase a guaranteed parking spot in advance near the tour’s starting point with SpotHero.
Dauer: Tour lasts approx. 2 hours. Total walking is about 2 miles.
What Should I Bring?
- This is a ticketed tour so payment is made at the time of booking! Guides can accept cash or Venmo for optional gratuity, however.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A water bottle
- Appropriate clothing / umbrella - tours are rain or shine!
- Professional Historian/Tour Guide
- Recommendations for the best food, music and museums
- Advice on must-do experiences
GPS Enabled Self Guided Tour of Georgetown
Can't make one of our guided tours? No problem, we have recorded some of our best tour guides giving their tours and put them on a GPS-enabled app.
Each tour offers an offline option to view the map and hear the audio of each walk so that you don't need to have GPS maps running with the app.
Here is how it works:
- Book an Audio Tour on our Booking Page
- Receive a confirmation email with a .mp3, .pdf, and embeddable Google Map
- Enjoy the tour(s)!
Even if you don't download any tours, you will still have access to valuable information on sightseeing.
Listen to a sample of the tour.
We also offer GPS-led audio tours of:
- The National Mall
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Embassy Row
- Old Town Alexandria
- Georgetown University Campus
- East Georgetown