Washington National Cathedral stands on a hilltop overlooking the National Capitol, like a chunk of medieval European and Gothic architectural history an American capital couldn't possibly own and is one of the great architectural marvels of the city.
A 90-minute tour of the cathedral's interior with author and guide, Andy Bittner, is to be immersed in what just might be the most intense concentration of 20th-century handcraft on the planet.
Tours are limited to small group sizes and will include tours of the interior and exterior of the Cathedral with Andy.
PRIVATE TOUR COST: $95 per adult | $65 ages 4-16 | Under 4 FREE (this includes admission to the Cathedral)
Tours are available only when Cathedral is open to visitors. Add on an autographed copy of Andy's book for $25.
We also offer free self guided tour of the Cathedral, though admission tickets will be required to enter so please keep that in mind!
231 stained-glass windows, an amazing collection of architectural and ornamental wrought iron, hundreds of works of hand-stitched needlepoint, and a blizzard of hand-carved wood and stone surround you as you learn about the artists and the community that created this wonder.
The minds of history lovers will swim as they stand where important national commemorations and prayer services have been held, including multiple presidential funerals.
Any first tour of Washington National Cathedral is just that, the first, and there's no one better to show you what you want to see than someone that grew up in the place, but, if you think you've already seen Washington National Cathedral, see it with Andy anyway. You'll be glad you did.
- "Andy's knowledge of the cathedral is unsurpassed. I've asked many obscure questions, and he always knows the story behind it." David S. (tour guide)
- "He was full of knowledge and willing to share tidbits of this and that that made folks feel they were getting an "inside scoop" story." Sandra C. (Washington D.C.)
- "I have never enjoyed a tour more than when Andy took me and a friend through the Cathedral. His knowledge of minute details is extensive and he even brought to light personal information regarding my love of tapestries." Linda D. (Wickenburg, AZ)
- "Andy led a tour I was on. I admit I was expecting to be underwhelmed. But Andy's deep knowledge of the Cathedral drew me in. His love of and passion for the Cathedral was completely evident." Debra M. (Severna Park, MD)
- "I have had the extreme pleasure of Andy's skills and knowledge. What is unique and refreshing about the experience with him is his ability to walk the careful line of not speaking above the tourist or below. He meets each person where they are." LeeAnne W. (Baltimore, MD)
- "Andy makes people want to visit the cathedral again and again. He instantly connects with people of all backgrounds." Cheri H. (tour guide)
- "He took our cub scout group around the building and the kids were SO fascinated by every story Andy told them... My son still talks about that trip." Raquel W. (McLean, VA)
Sites we may see on a 60-90-minute tour include...
- the Space Window
- the Canterbury Pulpit
- Frederick Hart's Creation sculptures
- War Memorial Chapel
- the Darth Vader grotesque
- the final resting place of Helen Keller
Washington National Cathedral is an active, working church, some tours may need to be modified, or canceled, to accommodate services, weddings, or events.
Private tour rates are dependent upon group size and include cathedral sightseeing. Please contact us to book a private tour at email@example.com