Let Free Tours by Foot help you plan your trip to Washington DC. Our local experts have written everything you need to know about what to do and see in DC.
In the sections below you'll find our most popular blog posts detailing insider information and our best advice.
Join our free FTBF travel community! As a thank you, you'll receive our free itinerary planner.
If you just don’t know where to start, visit our main post or take a walking tour and ask your guide!
There are a lot of things to do in DC, of course, but some are MUST-DOs. We have guides to the top things to do in DC based on how you want to travel - at night, with kids, for free or all of the above.
- Top Things to do for First Time Visitors
- Washington DC Night Tours
- What to Do in Washington DC during COVID
- What to Do with Kids in Washington DC
- Washington DC Itinerary
- Things to Do in DC at Night
- What tour should I take in Washington DC?
- Free Things to Do in Washington DC
- Outdoor Activities in DC
Some of the most popular attractions in DC are listed below - these blog posts will give you tips on how to get there, how to get tickets if necessary, best times to go and other insider information to help you plan your trip.
- How to Get US Capitol Building Tour Tickets
- National Archives Museum DC Tickets, Tours + Exhibits
- How to Tour the Supreme Court
- Visiting the Washington National Cathedral
- Pentagon Guided Tours
- White House Visitor Center
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tours
- Tour the FBI Building in Washington DC
- How to Get Tickets for White House Public Tour in 2022
- Library of Congress Tours
- Arlington National Cemetery Visitor Guide
How do you want to tour DC? Bus, bike, walking tours & more we have guides to the top-rated options.
- Washington DC Boat Tours + Cruises
- Washington DC Ghost Tours
- 8 Best Segway Tours in Washington DC (2022)
- Best Washington DC Bike Rentals and Tours (2022)
- Oak Hill Cemetery Tours
- Civil Rights & Justice Tours of Washington DC
- Wine Tours in the DC Area
- Free Washington DC Bus Tour
One of the highlights of a visit to the nation's capital is to visit the many national memorials and monuments in DC. Our guides help explain how to get there, the symbolism and more need to know information about visiting the memorials
- Washington Monument Tickets and Tours
- Pentagon Memorial Visitor's Guide
- Guide to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
- 13 Facts About the WW2 Memorial
- Visiting the Air Force Memorial
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial (the Wall) - A Visitors Guide
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Guide
- 25 Washington DC Monuments
- The Lincoln Memorial Visitor's Guide
- Iwo Jima Memorial DC (Visitor's Guide)
It's not just the Smithsonians! You can experience a number of unique museum.
The most popular museums in DC are the Smithsonians (there's more than 1)
- Visiting the Smithsonian National Zoo
- Visiting the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC
- American History Museum in Washington DC
- Smithsonian Museum Tours
- How to Get Tickets to Smithsonian Museums
- Guide to the National Museum of African American History & Culture (NMAAHC)
- Air and Space Museum Dulles
- Guide to Visiting the Air and Space Museum in DC
There is more to DC than Capitol Hill and the National Mall, each individual neighborhood and area has its own unique charm. Our neighborhood guides have tips on where to eat, what to see and often self guided tours.
- Visiting the Capital One Arena Neighborhood
- Visiting the Nationals Park Neighborhood
- Things to Do in Georgetown, D.C.
- Adams Morgan Neighborhood Guide
- National Mall Guide and Things to Do
- Tour of Old Town Alexandria | Things to See and Do
- Embassy Row | Washington DC
Washington DC doesn't have a food we're known for - but you should try a half-smoke! There are some great options of places to eat in DC!
- Where to Stay in Washington DC
- Best Places to Eat in Washington DC
- Best Cheap Eats in DC
- Best Brunch in DC
- Women Owned Restaurants in DC that are OPEN
- Best Cupcakes in DC
- Where to Stay in DC on a Buget
- Washington DC Food Tours
Our resident meteorologist, Fred, explains more about average temperatures and how much rain there usually is each month.
- What is the Washington DC Weather like in February?
- July Weather in Washington DC
- How is the Weather in Washington DC in January?
- What is the Weather like in Washington, DC during December?
- 45+ Things To Pack for Washington DC (Casual & Dressy)
- How is the weather in Washington DC in October?
- How is the weather in Washington, DC in November?
- Weather in Washington DC in September
- How is the Weather in DC in August?
- What is the Weather like in Washington, DC in June?
- How is the Weather in Washington, DC in May?
- What is the Weather like in April in DC?
- What is the Weather in DC (And How to Prepare for It)
- What is the Weather like in Washington DC in March?
Each month has its own special events, festivals and concerts. Find out more about what is happening when you're exploring DC.
- What to Do in July in Washington DC
- Things to Do in DC in January
- What to Do in Washington DC in February
- Top Things to Do in December in DC
- What to Do in DC in November
- What to Do in DC In June
- Things to Do in Washington DC in May (2022)
- What To Do in April in Washington DC (2022)
- What to Do in March in Washington, DC
- Things to Do in DC in October (2021)
- What to Do in DC in September (2022)
- Top Things to Do in August in DC
Visiting during a special holiday or time of year? Learn more about some of the seasonal events in DC.
- Top Things to Do in DC on Fourth of July
- White House Easter Egg Roll 2022
- All the things you MUST Do in DC this Winter (2022)
- What To Do in Washington, DC for St. Patrick’s Day (2022)
- The Only Cherry Blossom Festival Guide & Map You Need 
- Things to Do in DC on New Years Eve
- Christmas in Washington DC
- Best Places to See Fall Leaves in D.C. (without a car)
- Where to go Ice Skating in Washington, DC
- Visiting the Smithsonian Zoolights
- Top Things to Do for Memorial Day in DC (2022)
- The Best 8 Things To Do in DC in The Fall (2021)
- A Guide to DC in the Summer
From how to get to the city from different airports to how to use the Metro and where to keep your luggage, our guides can help you get around DC.
- Renting a Scooter in D.C.
- New York to Washington DC by Bus
- Where to Store Luggage in DC
- Transportation between Washington, D.C. and Dulles Airport
- 7 Best Places to Hike around Washington DC
- Uber | The Best Way to Get Around DC
- Getting to DC from DCA Reagan National Airport
- How to Use the Washington DC Metro
- How Capital Bikeshare Works for Tourists
- Where to Store Luggage at DCA (Reagan) National Airport
- Where to Store Luggage at Dulles Airport
- Where to Store Luggage at Arlington National Cemetery
- Where To Store Luggage in Union Station
- Where to Store Luggage at the White House
- How to get to National Harbor from Washington, DC
- Transportation Between BWI Airport and Washington, D.C.