Embassy Row is located just outside of the original city plan drawn up by Pierre L’Enfant.
As the city expanded, DC’s well-heeled sought to create a fashionable neighborhood and populated it with magnificent mansions and townhouses.
The area was originally called Millionaires Row after the nouveau riche began to build 60 room mansions on (what was then) the outskirts of Washington, DC.
In time, these beautiful structures would attract foreign embassies who helped revive and retain the cultural and social fabric of the area.
Join DC by Foot on this entertaining and enlightening Embassy Row Tour and learn all about the people and forces that have turned this district into one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in the city and the center of the foreign diplomatic community.
Wealth, power, intrigue, scandals, curses and political assassination fill the stories on this tour. Take a walk around the world and see the international side of the nation's capital city.
Sights we may cover on the Historic Embassy Row & Dupont Circle Tour:
- Millionaire's Row and historic mansions
- Embassies of: India, Indonesia, Ireland, Chile, Greece, Croatia and more
- Ambassador's Residence of Turkey, Egypt, Ireland
- Dupont Circle
- Cosmos Club | Anderson House
- Woodrow Wilson House
- Spanish Steps
- and more...
Reservations: REQUIRED. Click here to reserve.
Where: Meet your guide at the fountain in the center of Dupont Circle. Look for your tour guide in orange.
The tour ends near Dupont Circle North Metro (map) at 19th and Q St NW.
Purchase a guaranteed parking spot in advance near the tour’s starting point with SpotHero. To reserve your parking spot, visit the Dupont Circle SpotHero Parking Page and book a spot with rates up to 50% off drive-up.
Duration: Approximately 2 hours. Total walking is about 1.5 mile (2,4km).
What Should I Bring?
- This is a ticketed tour so payment is made at the time of booking! Guides can accept cash or Venmo for optional gratuity, however.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A water bottle
- Appropriate clothing / umbrella - tours are rain or shine!
- Professional Historian/Tour Guide
- Recommendations for the best food, music and museums
- Advice on must-do experiences