Let Free Tours by Foot help you plan your trip to Washington DC. Our local experts have written everything you need to know about what to do and see in DC.
In the sections below you'll find our most popular blog posts detailing insider information and our best advice.
Join our free FTBF travel community! As a thank you, you'll receive our free itinerary planner.
If you just don’t know where to start, visit our main post or take a walking tour and ask your guide!
There are a lot of things to do in DC, of course, but some are MUST-DOs. We have guides to the top things to do in DC based on how you want to travel - at night, with kids, for free or all of the above.
- What to Do in Washington DC with Kids
- Washington DC Itinerary
- Outdoor Activities in DC
- Things to Do in DC at Night
- What tour should I take in Washington DC?
- Top Things to do for First Time Visitors
- Free Things to Do in Washington DC
- Washington DC Night Tours
Some of the most popular attractions in DC are listed below - these blog posts will give you tips on how to get there, how to get tickets if necessary, best times to go and other insider information to help you plan your trip.
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tours
- How to Tour the Supreme Court
- White House Visitor Center
- Tour the FBI Building in Washington DC
- Arlington National Cemetery Visitor Guide
- White House Public Tour Tickets
- How to Get US Capitol Building Tour Tickets
- Library of Congress Tours
- National Archives Museum DC Tickets, Tours + Exhibits
- Visiting the Washington National Cathedral
- Pentagon Guided Tours
How do you want to tour DC? Bus, bike, walking tours & more we have guides to the top-rated options.
- Wine Tours in the DC Area
- Washington DC Ghost Tours
- Free Washington DC Bus Tour
- Civil Rights & Justice Tours of Washington DC
- 4 Best Segway Tours in Washington DC (2023)
- Best Washington DC Bike Rentals and Tours (2023)
- Oak Hill Cemetery Tours
- Washington DC Boat Tours + Cruises
One of the highlights of a visit to the nation's capital is to visit the many national memorials and monuments in DC. Our guides help explain how to get there, the symbolism and more need to know information about visiting the memorials
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Guide
- 25 Washington DC Monuments
- Guide to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
- 13 Facts About the WW2 Memorial
- Washington Monument Tickets and Tours
- Visiting the Air Force Memorial
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial (the Wall) - A Visitors Guide
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- The Lincoln Memorial Visitor's Guide
- Iwo Jima Memorial DC (Visitor's Guide)
- Pentagon 9/11 Memorial DC
It's not just the Smithsonians! You can experience a number of unique museum.
The most popular museums in DC are the Smithsonians (there's more than 1)
- Visiting the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC
- American History Museum in Washington DC
- Visiting the Air and Space Museum in DC | Guided Museum Tours (2023)
- Smithsonian Museum Tours
- How to Get Tickets to Smithsonian Museums
- Guide to the National Museum of African American History & Culture (NMAAHC)
- Air and Space Museum Dulles
- Visiting the Smithsonian National Zoo
There is more to DC than Capitol Hill and the National Mall, each individual neighborhood and area has its own unique charm. Our neighborhood guides have tips on where to eat, what to see and often self guided tours.
- Neighborhood Guide to the Wharf in Washington DC
- National Mall Guide and Things to Do
- Things to Do in Georgetown, D.C.
- Tour of Old Town Alexandria | Things to See and Do
- Embassy Row | Washington DC
- Visiting the Capital One Arena Neighborhood
- Visiting the Nationals Park Neighborhood
- Adams Morgan Neighborhood Guide
Washington DC doesn't have a food we're known for - but you should try a half-smoke! There are some great options of places to eat in DC!
- Where to Stay in Washington DC
- Best Places to Eat in Washington DC
- Where to Stay in DC on a Budget
- Best Cheap Eats in DC
- Best Brunch in DC
- Women Owned Restaurants in DC
- Washington DC Food Tours
- Best Cupcakes in DC
Our resident meteorologist, Fred, explains more about average temperatures and how much rain there usually is each month.
- Washington DC Weather in February
- July Weather in Washington DC
- How is the Weather in Washington DC in January?
- How's the Weather in Washington, DC in December?
- 45+ Things To Pack for Washington DC (Casual & Dressy)
- How is the weather in Washington DC in October?
- How is the weather in Washington, DC in November?
- Weather in Washington DC in September
- How is the Weather in DC in August?
- The Weather in Washington, DC in June
- How is the Weather in Washington, DC in May?
- What is the Weather like in April in DC?
- Washington DC Weather Averages by Month
- What is the Weather like in Washington DC in March?
Each month has its own special events, festivals and concerts. Find out more about what is happening when you're exploring DC.
- Things to Do in DC in January
- What to Do in March in Washington, DC
- Things to do in February in Washington, DC
- Top Things to Do in December in DC
- What to Do in DC in November
- Things to Do in DC in October (2022)
- What to Do in DC in September (2022)
- Top Things to Do in August in DC
- What to Do in July in Washington DC
- What to Do in DC In June
- Things to Do in Washington DC in May
- What To Do in April in Washington, DC
Visiting during a special holiday or time of year? Learn more about some of the seasonal events in DC.
- White House Easter Egg Roll 2023
- All the things you MUST Do in DC this Winter (2023)
- The Only Cherry Blossom Festival Guide & Map You Need 
- Things to Do in DC on New Years Eve
- Christmas in Washington DC
- Best Places to See Fall Leaves in D.C. (without a car)
- Visiting the Smithsonian Zoolights
- Where to go Ice Skating in Washington, DC
- The Best 8 Things To Do in DC in The Fall (2023)
- Top Things to Do in DC on Fourth of July
- A Guide to DC in the Summer
- Memorial Day Weekend in DC (2023)
- St. Patrick’s Day in Washington DC
From how to get to the city from different airports to how to use the Metro and where to keep your luggage, our guides can help you get around DC.
- Uber | The Best Way to Get Around DC
- DCA Metro Reagan National Airport to and from Downtown DC
- How to Use the Washington DC Metro
- How to get to National Harbor from Washington, DC
- Where to Store Luggage in DC
- Transportation Between BWI Airport and Washington, D.C.
- How Capital Bikeshare Works for Tourists
- Renting a Scooter in D.C.
- Where to Store Luggage at DCA (Reagan) National Airport
- Where to Store Luggage at Dulles Airport
- Where to Store Luggage at Arlington National Cemetery
- Where To Store Luggage in Union Station
- Where to Store Luggage at the White House
- Transportation between Washington, D.C. and Dulles Airport
- 7 Best Places to Hike around Washington DC
- New York to Washington DC by Bus