Let Free Tours by Foot help you plan your trip to Washington DC. Our local experts have written everything you need to know about what to do and see in DC.
In the sections below you'll find our most popular blog posts detailing insider information and our best advice.
Join our free FTBF travel community! As a thank you, you'll receive our free itinerary planner.
If you just don’t know where to start, visit our main post or take a walking tour and ask your guide!
There are a lot of things to do in DC, of course, but some are MUST-DOs. We have guides to the top things to do in DC based on how you want to travel - at night, with kids, for free or all of the above.
- What to Do in Washington DC with Kids
- Washington DC Itinerary
- Things to Do in DC at Night
- What tour should I take in Washington DC?
- Top Things to do for First Time Visitors
- Free Things to Do in Washington DC
- Washington DC Night Tours
Some of the most popular attractions in DC are listed below - these blog posts will give you tips on how to get there, how to get tickets if necessary, best times to go and other insider information to help you plan your trip.
There are many places that are unique to Washington, DC.
- Guide to Visiting the United States Botanic Garden
- ARTECHOUSE Immersive Art Experience
- Tour the FBI Building in Washington DC
- Arlington National Cemetery Visitor Guide
- Old Post Office | How to Get to the Top
- Union Station Washington DC
- The Kennedy Center | Self-Guided Tour & Visitors Guide
- Oak Hill Cemetery Tours
- Visiting the Washington National Cathedral
- Pentagon Guided Tours
How do you want to tour DC? Bus, bike, walking tours & more we have guides to the top-rated options.
- Self-Guided Tours of Washington DC
- Washington DC Ghost Tours
- Free Washington DC Bus Tour
- 4 Best Segway Tours in Washington DC (2023)
- Best Washington DC Bike Rentals and Tours (2023)
- Washington DC Boat Tours + Cruises
One of the highlights of a visit to the nation's capital is to visit the many national memorials and monuments in DC. Our guides help explain how to get there, the symbolism and more need to know information about visiting the memorials
- Visitor's Guide to the Eisenhower Memorial
- World War I Memorial
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Guide
- Washington DC Monuments
- Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool
- Lincoln Memorial Guide
- Guide to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
- 13 Facts About the WW2 Memorial
- Washington Monument Tickets and Tours
- Visiting the Air Force Memorial
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial (the Wall) - A Visitors Guide
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- The Lincoln Memorial Parking and Metro
- Iwo Jima Memorial DC (Visitor's Guide)
- Pentagon 9/11 Memorial DC
It's not just the Smithsonians! You can experience a number of unique museum.
The most popular museums in DC are the Smithsonians (there's more than 1)
- Guide to the National Portrait Gallery & Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Visiting the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC
- American History Museum in Washington DC
- Visiting the Air and Space Museum in DC | Guided Museum Tours (2023)
- Smithsonian Museum Tours
- How to Get Tickets to Smithsonian Museums
- Guide to the National Museum of African American History & Culture (NMAAHC)
- Air and Space Museum Dulles
- Visiting the Smithsonian National Zoo
There is more to DC than Capitol Hill and the National Mall, each individual neighborhood and area has its own unique charm. Our neighborhood guides have tips on where to eat, what to see and often self guided tours.
- Neighborhood Guide to the Wharf in Washington DC
- Things to Do in Georgetown, D.C.
- Tour of Old Town Alexandria | Things to See and Do
- Embassy Row | Washington DC
- Visiting the Capital One Arena Neighborhood
- Visiting the Nationals Park Neighborhood
- Adams Morgan Neighborhood Guide
Washington DC doesn't have a food we're known for - but you should try a half-smoke! There are some great options of places to eat in DC!
Budget, luxury, hotels with pools. All our advice on where to stay.
Our resident meteorologist, Fred, explains more about average temperatures and how much rain there usually is each month.
- Washington DC Weather in February
- July Weather in Washington DC
- How is the Weather in Washington DC in January?
- The Weather in Washington, DC in December
- The Weather in Washington DC in October
- The Weather in Washington, DC in November
- Weather in Washington DC in September
- How is the Weather in DC in August?
- Things To Do in DC in the Rain
- The Weather in Washington, DC in June
- How is the Weather in Washington, DC in May?
- What is the Weather like in April in DC?
- How's the Weather in Washington, DC?
- What is the Weather like in Washington DC in March?
Each month has its own special events, festivals and concerts. Find out more about what is happening when you're exploring DC.
- Things to Do in DC in January
- What to Do in March in Washington, DC
- Things to do in February in Washington, DC
- Top Things to Do in December in DC
- What to Do in DC in November
- Things to Do in DC in October
- What to Do in DC in September
- Top Things to Do in August in DC
- What to Do in July in Washington DC
- What to Do in DC In June
- Things to Do in Washington DC in May
- What To Do in April in Washington, DC
- Celebrate Women's History Month in Washington DC
Visiting during a special holiday or time of year? Learn more about some of the seasonal events in DC.
- Top Things to Do in DC on Fourth of July
- Memorial Day Weekend in DC (2023)
- White House Easter Egg Roll 2023
- White House Garden Tour
- All the things you MUST Do in DC this Winter
- Things to Do in DC on New Years Eve
- Best Places to See Fall Leaves in D.C. (without a car)
- Visiting the Smithsonian Zoolights
- Where to go Ice Skating in Washington, DC
- The Best 8 Things To Do in DC in The Fall (2023)
- A Guide to DC in the Summer
- St. Patrick’s Day in Washington DC
Our famous spring blooms!
From how to get to the city from different airports to how to use the Metro and where to keep your luggage, our guides can help you get around DC.
- How to get to National Harbor from Washington, DC
- Metro Between Dulles Airport and Washington DC
- Uber | The Best Way to Get Around DC
- DCA Metro Reagan Airport to and from Downtown DC
- How to Use the Washington DC Metro
- Where to Store Luggage in DC
- BWI Airport To and From Washington DC
- How Capital Bikeshare Works for Tourists
- Renting a Scooter in D.C.
- Where to Store Luggage at DCA (Reagan) National Airport
- Where to Store Luggage at Dulles Airport
- Where to Store Luggage at Arlington National Cemetery
- Where To Store Luggage in Union Station
- Where to Store Luggage at the White House
- Dulles Airport (IAD) to Washington DC
- New York to Washington DC by Bus
- Guidelines on Going Through Security in Washington, D.C.
- 45+ Things To Pack for Washington DC (Casual & Dressy)
- Best Time to Visit Washington DC?
- Tips for Planning a Trip to Washington DC
- Top Apps to Use When Visiting DC
- Where to Park in Washington DC
- Best Views of the White House
- Where to Get the Best Views of Washington DC
- Best Places for Washington, DC Souvenirs
- How to Attend Inauguration
- Plan a School Trip to DC