Craft beers have become immensely popular in recent years. New York City is home to several breweries, and a couple of them actually offer FREE tours of their facilities.
This is a perfect outing for any beer lover, whether you are a local or just visiting! Here are some tips on taking advantage of these free New York brewery tours.
TIP: If you are planning on purchasing a tourist discount pass, some include beer tastings tours and pub crawls. Read our post to see if a discount pass is a good fit for you.
Be sure to also read:
- Our historic NYC bar tour and our guide to drinking in NYC
- 10 Rooftop Bars with Skyline Views of Manhattan
- Best Pub Crawls and Bar Tours in New York City
- Best Things to Do in New York City
Brooklyn Brewery (see video above) has been in operation since 1988. Today their beers are sold in 25 states and in 20 different countries!
The Brooklyn Brewery offers both year-round varieties (including the extremely popular Brooklyn Lager), as well as seasonal specials. The company recently expanded their facility and will be able to double production.
Location: The Brooklyn Brewery, 79 N 11th Street in Brooklyn (map). By subway, take the L Train, Bedford Avenue stop. For exact directions from your starting point, use this Google Map. Or take the East River Ferry to the North Williamsburg stop.
Tour Schedule and Price:
- Monday-Thursday by reservation only. $10. New York Pass holders get $2 off the cost of entry. Read our post to see if a discount pass is a good fit for you.
- Saturday and Sunday. FREE
- Tours begin at 1 pm on Saturday and Sunday and then run every half hour.
- The last tour of the day on Saturday is at 5 pm. The last tour on Sunday is at 4 pm.
- It is first come-first serve. Tickets are released 1 or 1.5 hours before the tour begins. (For the 1 pm tour, plan on getting there around noon)
- 40 tickets per tour time will be given out
- Maximum of two tickets will be given out per person, so don’t plan on picking up tickets for a big group of friends!
- Children are permitted on the tours but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- You must wear closed-toed shoes while in the brewery, for safety reasons.
- You can head to the Tasting Room to have a pint or two after your tour. There are no reservations for the tables in the tasting room. First come-first serve!
- Beer tokens for the Tasting Room are $5, or 5 for $20.
- You are permitted to bring in outside food, or even order delivery to the brewery!!
TIP: Pair your visit to the Brooklyn Brewery before or after with our free Williamsburg Walking Tour, which covers the brewery on the tour.
The Chelsea Brewing Company is the largest microbrewery in Manhattan. The facility, which is located at Pier 59, is capable of bottling 100,000 cases of beer for off-site consumption every single year! That is not even counting what they serve on-site in their restaurant on a daily basis.
TIP: Pair your visit to the Chelsea Brewing Company with a visit to the High Line. Check out our self-guided High Line Tour.
Location: Pier 59 W 18th and the West Side Highway. The nearest subway is either the 1 train stop at 18th Street or the A/C/E train 14th Street stop.
Tour Schedule and Price:
- Saturdays, every hour on the hour from 2 pm-6 pm. FREE.
- The tour will include a free sample of a beer and a discounted pint for $4 (Regular price is $6 a pint.) Must have I.D. to prove that you are of legal drinking age before you receive your free beer.
- 30 people maximum per tour.
- You can see the hostess in the restaurant to reserve your spot on the day of the tour or call 212- 336-6440 to inquire about availability for tours.
- There is a full restaurant attached to the brewery, so you can have lunch or dinner there. There are beautiful views of the Hudson River from the restaurant.
Transmitter Brewery in Brooklyn calls themselves an "Urban Farmhouse Brewery" specializing in French and Belgian style beers, and barrel-aged sours.
The 15-minute tour gives you an inside look brewery floor to learn about the craft beer making process from start to finish.
If you love beer -- whether a beginner or advanced level, you'll become acquainted with the complexities of the beer-making process and how it is fine-tuned to create unique brews you can't find anywhere else.
You will have ample opportunities to taste the variations along the tour. Perhaps you will fall in love with a new style?
Location: 141 Flushing Avenue, Building 77, Brooklyn Navy Yard. For exact directions from your starting point, use this Google Map.
You can also take the East River Ferry to the Brooklyn Navy Yard on the Astoria Route, with a non-stop connection from Wall St-Pier 11 or E. 34th St. When you disembark, follow signs to Building 77.
Tour Schedule and Price
- Fridays 4 pm- 8 pm
- Saturdays 12 pm - 8 pm
- Sundays 12 pm - 6 pm
- All tours are FREE.
- Tours are 15 minutes long. They are free and you will be able to sample beers during the tour. You can book here.
- Groups 6 or larger please email email@example.com
- You must be at least 21 years old and bring valid photo identification.
SINGLECUT BEERSMITHS - Note: Tours currently not running
Learn about the chemical processes of brewing while touring this 5,000 square foot brewery. This tour is ideal for those looking to garner a more sophisticated knowledge of microbrews.... all for free!
Some things to know about taking a tour with SingleCut Beersmiths
- SingleCut Beersmiths is located at 19-33 37th St, Astoria NY 11105
- Though the tour is free, guests are required to a make reservation, which can be done here
- The tour lasts approximately 1 hour and runs every Saturday and Sunday at 3 pm
- Guests must bring a valid ID