This post covers various transport options from Vienna Airport to the city center. It offers practical information to help you find the most convenient method for your journey.
- City Airport Train (CAT)
- ÖBB Railjet
- Express Train S7
- Bus Connections
- Private Transfers
- Car Rentals
Vienna International Airport (VIE), nestled in the town of Schwechat, sits just 20 kilometers from the heart of Vienna.
Acting as a significant gateway, it welcomes travelers from Austria and the globe.
Regardless of your purpose of visit, several straightforward options are available to whisk you from Vienna airport to the city center.
The City Airport Train, commonly known as CAT, is renowned for its quick city check-in service and direct link between Vienna International Airport and the Wien Mitte station in Vienna's heart.
With its non-stop service and quick 16-minute journey time, it's an ideal choice for those looking to reach the city center swiftly.
The CAT terminal at Wien Mitte offers daily self-service check-in from 5.00 am to 11.00 pm for selected flights, allowing passengers to drop off bags and receive their boarding passes up to 24 hours before departure.
This convenient service eliminates city check-in, enabling travelers to proceed directly to security.
- Trains to/from City Air Terminal (Wien Mitte) run every 30 minutes, 6.08 am - 11.38 pm (from the airport) and 5.37 am - 11.07 pm (to the airport).
- Single tickets: €14.90; return: €24.90. Free for children under 15 and discounts on cat ticket price for wheelchair riders.
- Tickets can be bought at www.cityairporttrain.com, ticket machines, or airport tourist info.
- Vienna City Card + Airport Transfer covers this journey.
For a comfortable ride, consider the ÖBB Railjet, which directly connects Vienna Airport with Vienna city centre and other major cities.
Known for its speed and punctuality, the Railjet train delivers passengers to the heart of Vienna in less than 30 minutes.
This makes it a popular choice for local commuters and tourists seeking a reliable mode of transportation.
You can conveniently purchase tickets online via the ÖBB website, at ticket machines in the airport or train stations, or through the ÖBB mobile app.
Vienna City Card holders can use this service as part of their card benefits.
- Railjet operates 5:30 am - 11:30 pm, with trains departing every 30 minutes.
- Standard one-way ticket: €4.60 | return ticket: €8.10.
- Reduced fares for children aged 6-14 and free for under 6.
The Express Train S7, known simply as S7, provides a cost-effective and reliable transport option connecting Vienna International Airport to several metro train platforms.
Able to reach the heart of Vienna in approximately 25 minutes, the S7 is favored by travelers who value both speed and economy.
Tickets can be easily purchased online via the ÖBB website, at ticket vending machines in the airport or train stations, or via the ÖBB mobile app.
The S7's affordability and efficient service make it a solid choice for travelers moving from the airport to Vienna city center.
The timetable might be seen at the train station. Vienna City Card holders can utilize this service as part of their card benefits.
- S7 trains operate from 4:50 am until midnight, departing every 30 minutes
- Standard one-way ticket: €4.10; return ticket: €8
- Reduced fares for children aged 6-14 and free for under 6
Vienna's bus service provides a comfortable and direct connection between Vienna International Airport and multiple bus stops in the city.
This includes key platforms such as Vienna Westbahnhof, Vienna Meidling, and Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz.
The Vienna airport lines buses take 20 to 45 minutes, depending on your final stop.
With their comprehensive reach within the city, these bus services are particularly helpful for travelers whose destinations are not covered by train services.
Tickets can be purchased from the bus driver, from ticket machines, or online via the Postbus website.
Vienna City Card holders can utilize this service as part of their card benefits.
- Buses operate from 6:30 am to 11:30 pm, departing every 30 to 60 minutes
- A standard one-way ticket to Westbahnhof or Meidling: €8; return: €13
- One-way to Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz: €8; return: €13. Free for children under 6
Taxis in Vienna offer a straightforward and convenient way of getting to the city center from Vienna International Airport.
The taxi ride provides the advantage of door-to-door service, taking you directly to your hotel or any other desired location in Vienna.
- Taxis are available 24/7 at Vienna Airport
- The journey to the city center usually takes between 20 to 30 minutes
- Taxi fare to the city center is around €36, though prices can vary
Private transfers offer a personalized and luxury transportation option from Vienna International Airport to the city center.
This service is perfect for those who value convenience, comfort, and privacy.
The key advantage of booking a private transfer is that it provides a door-to-door service, meaning you'll be picked up from the arrivals hall and taken directly to your hotel or other destinations in Vienna.
You also avoid queues at taxi ranks or public transportation stations.
- Private transfers offer 24/7 personalized door-to-door service
- Advanced booking ensures a seamless journey
- Prices start at around €35 but can vary depending on the provider and vehicle type
Renting a car from Vienna International Airport gives you flexibility and freedom during your stay in Vienna.
A car can be a real advantage if you travel around the region.
Car rental companies at Vienna Airport include international brands like Avis, Budget, Hertz, Sixt, and Europcar.
Booking your rental car in advance is recommended to ensure availability, especially during peak travel times.
Remember, driving in Vienna requires familiarity with local driving laws. Additionally, parking in Vienna can be challenging, as in most cities, so be prepared if you rent a car.
- Rental centers are located in P4, on level 0
- Prices vary based on car type, rental duration, and company
- Be aware of local driving laws and potential parking challenges
Airport Transfer with Vienna City Card
The Vienna City Card offers visitors a convenient and cost-effective option for traveling from Vienna International Airport to the city center.
In addition to offering unlimited travel on Vienna's public transport network (metro, trams, buses, and S-Bahn trains), this card includes airport transfers, making it an ideal choice for travelers.
Depending on your Vienna City Card version, you may also have access to Hop-On Hop-Off sightseeing buses, which provide an easy and flexible way to explore Vienna's attractions.
- 24 Hours - Є17
- 48 Hours - Є25
- 72 Hours - Є29