Of the several places to ice skate in London, one of the loveliest is at Somerset House, where the courtyard of a gorgeous 17th-century building is transformed into an ice rink.
Under the sparkling lights of a 40-foot (12 m) Christmas tree, gliding on the ice at Somerset House is something magical.
And in the video clip below, Sinead, a tour guide with us, Free Tours by Foot, starts our Christmas Lights Tour virtually here.
Even better, in the evenings you can indulge in chocolate truffles and champagne. Concerts and DJs play music as well.
Somerset House is located in Aldwych. The closest tube station is Temple.
Other nearby stations are Covent Garden, Charing Cross, Embankment, Blackfriars, and Waterloo.
Use this Google map for directions there.
- Dates: 15 November 2023 - 14 January 2024
- Hours: 9.30 - 21.30. Sessions start at 9:00 a.m. and then every 45 minutes afterward. The last skate is at 21:00 (special nights will extend until 22:45) . Skating sessions are 45 minutes long.
- 24 Dec, sessions start at 9.00, and the last session starts at 17.00
- 25 Dec, CLOSED
- 26 Dec, sessions start at 12.00, and the last session starts at 21.00
- 27-30 Dec, sessions start at 09.00 last session starts at 21.00
- 31 Dec, sessions start at 10.00 last session starts at 16.00
- 1 Jan, sessions start at 12.00, last session starts at 21.00
- Adult tickets range from £11 - £22 plus. Book early to secure the lowest price.
- Child range from £8.00 - £11. A child must be 12 years or under and must be accompanied by an adult on the ice.
- Family Discount: A 10% family discount will be automatically applied to orders for groups of four (where there are two adults and two children aged 12 and under, or one adult and three children aged 12 and under).
- A transaction fee of £2.95 per order applies.
- Spectators not skating are welcome for free.
Buying tickets on the day of the skate
- A very limited number of tickets are available every day from the on-site box office for all sessions. Cash not accepted. Somerset House is a cashless site.
- They are released when the box office opens, so arrive early to purchase.
- Box Office Hours: 9:30 - 21:30
Other Things To Do At Christmas
There are several wonderful ice skating rinks in London beside Somerset House. See our list of the best places for ice skating in London.
Be sure to make time to see the gorgeous Christmas Lights around the city.
For more things to do around the holidays, take a look at our full guide to Christmas in London!