This post will show you how to get tickets for the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, including how to obtain standby and rehearsal tickets.
Attending a live TV show taping is one of the top 10 free things to do in NYC.
- How to Order Tickets
- Rules of the Show
- Standby Tickets
- Tickets to the Rehearsal Show
- Other TV Shows in NYC
- Things to Do in NYC
To get tickets, you will first need to sign up with 1iota, the website that handles many TV taping ticket requests.
We recommend you do this in advance of the ticket release by clicking here: Tonight Show Member Sign-Up.
Tickets are usually released about a month in advance, usually in the 1st week of the previous month, so you will be able to plan ahead.
You will only be allowed to book tickets for The Tonight Show once every 6 months.
After signing up with 1iota, visit the show's website which directs you how to request tickets.
You will be asked to choose the dates that you would like to book and will be placed in a waitlist queue. Tickets are generally processed a week or two before the show.
The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon is taped inside the General Electric Building, better known as 30 Rockefeller Plaza.
The entrance to the show (as well as the line for standby tickets) is on the 49th Street side of the building.
The show is filmed in Rockefeller Center, inside of 30 Rock, the same building as the Top of the Rock observation deck.
Use this Google map for directions to the Tonight Show.
Note that "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" begins taping at 5:00 pm.
Check-in will usually start at 3:15 pm and close promptly at 3:45 pm.
Other rules of attendance:
- The person who reserved must be present. They will check IDs to match names.
- No groups larger than four people may book.
- No bags larger than small purses will be allowed in. (read our post on where to store your bags)
- No cameras, phones or electronics of any kind will be allowed into the taping.
- No one under the age of 16 may attend the taping.
- Those attending are asked to keep to a “smart casual” dress code. (You’ll be on TV! Time to look good!)
Standby tickets are given out at 9 am for that day’s show. They are distributed at the 49th St entrance to 30 Rockefeller Center (map).
If you don’t make it by 9 am, you can inquire about standby tickets at the NBC Experience Store.
Standby Tickets do not guarantee entry into the show.
Every day, the Tonight Show invites a small audience to watch Jimmy Fallon rehearse his monologue.
The reaction of the rehearsal audience partially determines what makes it into the actual show. This is a really fun opportunity to be a part of the process.
+++Check out our famous pay-what-you-like walking tours of New York City as well!+++
Some Fun Facts About The Tonight Show, Past, and Present…
- The original show debuted on September 27, 1954, and was officially called “The Tonight Show Starring Steve Allen.”
- Some iconic features of the show, including the opening monologue, a guest musical performer and taking the camera outside of the studio for comedy bits all began during the original show with Steve Allen
- The longest-running host of The Tonight Show was Johnny Carson, who hosted for thirty seasons.
- Jay Leno never touched a single paycheck that he earned during his time as the host of The Tonight Show. He lived solely off of his earnings as a stand-up comedian.
- The current show with Jimmy Fallon is the first time “Starring” has been used in the title since Johnny Carson was the host.
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon is shot in Studio 6B at NBC Studios. The studio underwent a $5 million renovation to prepare for the show’s return to New York.
- Studio 6B is where The Tonight Show was hosted by former hosts Jack Paar and Johnny Carson. A decade into his tenure as host, Carson moved with the show to Burbank, California.
- Jimmy Fallon is the sixth host of The Tonight Show. He was previously the host of Late Night, which airs right after The Tonight Show on NBC. (Fellow SNL alum Seth Meyers took over as host of Late Night.)
- Film director Spike Lee directed the current opening sequence for The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- The Roots are the current house band for the show. Steve Higgins is the announcer and “sidekick.”
- Will Smith was a guest on Jimmy Fallon’s first show, and U2 performed as a musical guest.
- The official air time of The Tonight Show is 11:34 pm Eastern Standard Time.
If you liked this post, please share it with your friends and family.