This post covers Magnolia Bakery, its NYC locations, its association with Sex and the City, what to order, and other visitor tips. It's also a stop on the official Sex and the City Bus Tour.
Magnolia Bakery, renowned for its cupcakes, started out as a small local bakery in the quaint West Village in 1996.
Now it is a worldwide phenomenon - partially due to its 30-second cameo in an episode of Sex and the City, but mostly because they are really darn yummy!
Magnolia Bakery has over 30 stores around the globe.
Luckily, six of them are right here in New York City, including the original, which happens to be located very close to where Carrie Bradshaw lived!
See our post on how to find Carrie Bradshaw's apartment).
Below we also include all the locations of Magnolia Bakery and a map to help you find them.
We’ve also got tips on the best times to go, what to try, and what not to buy. Lastly, we have some suggestions for what you can do near each of the several locations.
SEX AND THE CITY
Long before Magnolia Bakery made its 30-second appearance on Sex and the City, the word was out in New York that their cupcakes were to die for.
Locals knew how great they were, but there were certainly no lines stretching around the block.
The turning point was shortly after an episode of HBO's Sex and the City aired. In Season 3, Episode 5, Carrie and Miranda sit on a bench at Magnolia Bakery talking about Carrie's most recent beau, Aidan.
While Carrie expresses her excitement at her new love interest, she and Miranda snarf down the most decadent, delicious-looking cupcakes in the world.
Within weeks of the airing of the episode, lines began to form around the small bakery on West 11th. Despite the lines, most people agree that it is worth it.
There are now 6 locations throughout the city and although there are almost always lines at every one of the stores, there is no question that it is worth the wait.
SATC has quite a cult following. In fact, there are a number of SATC tours that you can take in New York. You can go on your own, but you can also take a bus tour of Sex and the City sights.
We have a self-guided Sex and the City tour that includes a stop at Magnolia Bakery. Our self-guided tour of Greenwich Village also includes the bakery.
The building used for outside shots of Carrie's apartment in the show is located just around the corner.
WHAT TO TRY AT MAGNOLIA
- Banana Pudding How's this for irony? While cupcakes are a top-selling item at their bakeries, it is their banana pudding that is most loved by customers and is the single most popular item on their menu.
- Classic yellow cake with chocolate buttercream This is a tried and true cupcake and a great way to introduce yourself to Magnolia's way of doing things. If you love cupcakes, you really can't go wrong with any flavor.
- Peanut Butter Ice Box Pie Velvety smooth pic that’s like mouths’ full of condensed Reese's Cups.
- Red Velvet Cake Traditional Southern recipe of a dense cake with a cream cheese frosting.
- Rockette Cupcake Every December, Magnolia makes a special cupcake with the Radio City Rockettes on them. Typically they are red velvet cupcakes with sugary Rockette dancers on top.
MAGNOLIA BAKERY LOCATIONS IN NYC
The original Magnolia Bakery in Greenwich Village
401 Bleecker St. and W. 11th St., 212.462.2572
- Visit the Friends Apartment and of course Carrie Bradshaw's apartment
- Spend some time in Washington Square Park
OTHER MAGNOLIA LOCATIONS
Midtown Grand Central Terminal Lower Dining Concourse, 212.682.3588
Midtown East Bloomingdales, 1000 Third Avenue, 212.265.5320
Midtown West Rockefeller Center 1240 Avenue of the Americas at 49th St., 212.767.1123
- Tip: This is one of the busiest Magnolia Bakery locations- here's some advice to avoid a long wait. For baked goods, you must wait in line to order and then on a second line to pay. If you are purchasing something else, simply grab it and go to the final cashier line to pay for your order.
Penn Station 1 Penn Plaza, Lower Concourse, 212-462-2860
Upper West Side 200 Columbus Avenue at 69th St., 212.724.8101
Woodbury Commons Premium Shopping Outlet Mall 845-589-4150
If you don't know what Woodbury Commons is and love good deals on shopping, you must look into a day trip to the money-saving premium shopping mall with over 75 stores.
Our post has all the information you need to get there, and advice on the best times to go and how to plan your trip. And of course...don't forget to get your Magnolia cupcake!
ENJOY YOUR CUPCAKE AND YOUR TRIP TO NEW YORK!