Self-Guided Tours of Washington DC
This post lists over 20 self-guided walking tours of DC, including GPS-enabled audio tours and neighborhood guides all produced by our guides here at Free Tours by Foot.
Enjoy your self guided tour? Make a donation to help support the guides. You can Venmo @canden-ftbf or Buy Me A Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dcbyfoot
Self Guided tours of Washington DC are a great way to explore on your own time.
Though we love showing guests around Washington, DC on our name your own price guided tours, we realize that not everyone has the time to take a guided walking tour.
If our tour schedule doesn’t work for you, or if you would rather explore on your own, then take advantage of our totally free self-guided tours of Washington DC.
Tours We Offer:
- National Mall Self-Guided Tour
- Self -Guided Tour of the White House | Lafayette Park
- Arlington Cemetery Self-Guided Tours
- Self-Guided Tours of Georgetown
- Other DC Self-Guided Tours
Don’t forget to tag us on social media @topthingstododc when you take our self-guided tours! You can share your photos or even ask us a question!
Self-Guided Tour of the National Mall & Memorials
The memorials tell about the lives of men and women from America’s past and present.
The National Mall & Memorials Tour tells the stories from founding father George Washington to Rosie the Riveter during WWII.
You’ll learn all about the history, symbolism, and a few hidden stories of these must-see sites.
Here is a sample of the tour:
You could also visit our main DC audio tours page for more samples and information.
Self-Guided Tour of the White House and Lafayette Park
The White House is the most famous building in all of America and is a must-stop while visiting Washington, DC.
Learn about the heroes of the American Revolution as you stroll through the park and learn about the man it got its name from.
Self-Guided Tours of Arlington National Cemetery
Established during the Civil War, Arlington National Cemetery is a testament to the incredible service and sacrifice of our many men and women in the Armed Forces.
Don’t leave DC without a visit to these hallowed grounds, which are now the final resting place for over 400,000 veterans.
Though we offer a guided tour of the cemetery with a live tour guide, these self-guided tours are perfect for anyone who is short on time or would prefer a themed tour.
Interested in learning more about? Check out our guide to visiting Arlington National Cemetery!
We also have a few self-guided tours to complement our walking and highlights self-guided tours:
We recommend taking these after you’ve taken our highlights tour, as these self-guided tours expand and explore more of the cemetery.
Self-Guided Tours of Georgetown
Older than the rest of Washington, D.C. by nearly half a century, Georgetown is a quaint neighborhood that boasts excellent shopping, critically acclaimed restaurants, and a highly reputable university.
We have a number of self-guided tours of Georgetown:
- Highlights Tour of Georgetown
- Self-Guided East Georgetown Walking Tour (also available in audio tour version)
- Tour of Civil War Georgetown
- Tour of Georgetown University (also available in audio tour version)
- Georgetown Cupcakes and Desserts Tour
EMBASSY ROW SELF-GUIDED TOUR
Originally called Millionaires’ Row, it was mansions and large homes built by the newly wealthy.
Today, the section of Massachusetts Ave NW north of Dupont Circle is the home to many of the embassies in Washington, DC.
This tour will explore the neighborhood’s history and outside of embassies along the way, finishing up near the North entrance to the Dupont Circle Metro Station on the red line. https://freetoursbyfoot.com/embassy-row-tour-self/
Other Self-Guided Tours of Washington DC
- U Street Food and History Tour
- Tour of the Washington National Cathedral
- Tour of Union Station
- Library of Congress Tours of the Jefferson Building
- The Only Cherry Blossom Festival Guide & Map You Need 
- Adams Morgan Self Guided Tour
- Drinking History- A Walking Tour
- Tour of the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts
- Visit the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial
- Visiting the Air Force Memorial
- Self Guided Tour of Historic Annapolis
- Old Town Alexandria Self Guided Tour (also available in audio tour version)
Interested in a self-guided tour that we don’t yet offer? Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work on creating that tour in the future!