This post covers some of the best things to do in Las Vegas throughout the month of August (updated for 2023), including several free, family-friendly, and nighttime events.
For more ideas of what to do this month, see our posts on:
- Things to Do in Vegas (any time of year)
- Tourist Attraction Discount Passes
- Hop on Hop off Bus Tours
- Las Vegas Shows You Can See
The following list includes a variety of attractions, events, and activities for audiences of all ages.
Some of them are included at no extra cost with a Las Vegas tourist pass, and you might want to consider using one of these services to save money.
And check out the weather in Las Vegas in August.
1. Go to a Concert
Las Vegas attracts some of the best-known artists in the world.
In August, you'll be able to see some of them in concert at venues throughout the city.
- Buddy Guy | August 1st
- Little Feat | August 2nd
- Diplo | August 2nd
- Kelly Clarkson | August 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th
- Katy Perry | August 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 11th, 12th
- Lil Baby | August 4th
- Little River Band | August 5th
- Maxwell | August 9th, 11th, 12th
- Greta Van Fleet | August 12th
- Beck | August 12th
- Peter Frampton | August 18th
- Gladys Knight | August 18th
- Ludacris | August 25th
- Duran Duran | August 26th
- Beyonce | August 26th, 27th
- Luke Bryan | August 30th
For even more great music, check this full list of concerts in Las Vegas during August.
2. See a Stand-up Comedy Performance
No matter when you come to Las Vegas, chances are there will be plenty of well-known comedians performing stand-up.
If you’re in need of a good laugh, consider going to see one of these comics in August.
- Rich Little | August 1st - 30th
- Sebastian Maniscalco | August 4th, 5th
- Adam Carolla | August 10th
- Tim Meadows | August 18th, 19th
- Deon Cole | August 19th
- Gregory Porter | August 25th
- Jim Gaffigan | August 25th, 26th
For even more performers, check this list of stand-up comedy shows in Las Vegas during August.
3. Attend a Magic Show
Some of the most famous magicians in the world have residencies in Las Vegas giving you many options to see them in August.
You can expect multiple opportunities to see shocking magic tricks and death-defying stunts this August.
- David Copperfield | August 1st - 30th
- Piff The Magic Dragon | August 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th
- Shin Lim | August 3rd-28th
- Nathan Burton | August 1st - 30th
- Criss Angel | August 2nd-6th, 16th-20th, 30th
- Penn & Teller | August 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th
- Paranormal Mind Reading Magic | August 1st - 30th
If you’re looking for even more opportunities to witness the unexpected, there are more shows here.
4. See a Cirque du Soleil Show
If you’re interested in a theatrical experience, you can usually rely on Cirque du Soleil to host several shows in Las Vegas each month.
And there will be multiple options to choose from in August.
Other Stage Shows
For even more opportunities to visit the theatre, check out this list of theatrical performances in Las Vegas during August.
5. Save Money With a Tourist Pass
If you’re planning to experience as much as possible in Las Vegas, a tourist pass is a great way to save money on several activities of interest.
There are a few different types of passes, but the basic idea is that you’ll pay a set price for several attractions.
Using these services, you can usually save 50% or more off general admission costs.
Here are just a few of the attractions included with the Go City Las Vegas pass:
- Blue Man Group |
- The Beatles: LOVE |
- Las Vegas Helicopter Tour |
- Grand Canyon Tour |
- Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour |
- Marvel Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. |
- Hoover Dam Highlights Tour |
- Madame Tussauds |
- Legends in Concert |
- And more!
If you’re interested in enjoying any of these tours, attractions, or live shows, make sure to read our post covering Las Vegas tourist passes for more details.
6. Attend a Sporting Event
There will be several opportunities to catch live sports in Las Vegas in August.
Check this list of sporting events in Las Vegas to see everything taking place this month.
7. Attend a Dive-In Movie at The Cosmopolitan
While drive-in movies are once again becoming popular following the pandemic, Las Vegas is home to a different and unique kind of communal movie viewing experience: The Dive-In!
Throughout the summer, The Cosmopolitan hosts a movie night by their pool once a week.
This gives you the opportunity to enjoy a popular film while enjoying a dip in the cool water on a hot August night.
Tickets start at only $15 and they don’t require you to have a room at the hotel to get in.
8. Take a Day Trip
There are several noteworthy locations within a few hours of Las Vegas.
If you’re interested in getting out of the city for a day, you might want to consider one of these options.
The most obvious choice is the Grand Canyon, and there are a lot of tour companies that offer services that will take you out to this natural wonder and bring you back to Vegas in one day.
Another option is none other than Hoover Dam, which is also quite close to Las Vegas.
As with the Grand Canyon, several companies offer transportation to and from this historic site.
What’s even better is that day trips to both sites are actually included with the Go City Las Vegas tourist pass.
If you want to save money on day trips, this service is an absolute must!
9. Go on a Food Tour
Las Vegas is home to a wide variety of restaurants and culinary styles, and it’s almost impossible to try everything before you leave.
If you’re looking for some help finding the best food options in the city, you might want to consider taking a food tour while you’re in town.
Here are a few of the best options currently available:
Alternatively, you can also head to the Hard Rock Cafe for an excellent selection of meal options!
10. See Limited Exhibits at the Illuminarium
The Illuminarium is one of the most interesting attractions in Las Vegas.
Through the power of their 4K projectors, they immerse you into environments that you could only imagine otherwise.
Examples of shows they've had in the past include:
- WILD: A Safari Experience
- SPACE: An Experience Beyond Earth
- O’KEEFFE: One Hundred Flowers
Tickets to the Illuminarium and one of these exhibits start at just $35.00.
Alternatively, you can save even more money on this attraction by using a Las Vegas tourist pass!