The British Museum has one of the most important collections of historical artifacts anywhere in the world.
Famously, it can be visited for free on our Free British Museum Tour, but, with over 8 million objects it can be hard to know where to start and easy to get lost among the labyrinth of galleries and civilizations.
You can also watch this 1-hour virtual version of the British Museum's highlights.
Let our experts guide you through some of the museum's most famous and fascinating collections while we tell the story of the cultures and characters that produced them, and see how they shaped who we are today.
No tour of the British Museum is complete with controversy, fakes, and scandal - we don't shy away from the complexity!
Our 2.5-hour free British Museum tour visits all 6 of the inhabited continents and takes in 7 of the 'Unofficial' Top 10 objects in the British Museum.
You'll walk away from this tour fascinated and intrigued, with a greater understanding of the world's most famous museums, and museums in general.
What’s Included on British Museum Tour:
- The Museum's History and Architecture
- Insider information from a museum professional
- The Tara Statue and treasures of South Asia
- The Rosetta Stone (or two....)
- The Ife Head and Benin Bronzes
- Trinidadian Moko Jumbie figures
- The Assyrian Guards, and the Royal Game of Ur
- Hoa Hakananai'a (Easter Island Moai)
- The Parthenon Sculptures (Elgin Marbles) and its many controversies
- The Younger Memnon (Ozymandias)
- The Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon Ship Burial and Helmet
- The Lewis Chessmen
- First Nations Totem Poles from Canada's west coast
- An Egyptian mummy's coffin
- The 'FeeJee Mermaid"
Reservations: Click here to reserve.
WHERE: At the Rear Entrance to the Museum, the King Edward Entrance on Montague Place WC1E 7JW. (Please note this is not the main entrance). Your guide will be waiting outside the entrance by the Lion statue. (map)
Duration: Approximately 2 hours.
When: View our full tour calendar.
Cost: This tour is free to take, and you get to decide what, if anything, the tour was worth when it's done. A name-your-own-price tour is a tour for any budget.