There are a few ways to save money on tickets to see a Broadway show, such as lottery tickets and Rush tickets.
This post is about Rush tickets, what they are, how to get them and which shows offer them. We also include tips to improve your chances of getting them.
- What are Rush Tickets
- Tips to Improve Your Chances
- Participating Shows
- Other Broadway Discounts
- Best Current Broadway Shows
- Things to Do in NYC
WHAT ARE RUSH TICKETS?
Rush tickets are same-day tickets and cost anywhere from $25-40 depending on the show.
If you don’t mind standing in line at the box office on the day of the performance, Rush tickets are a great way to get inexpensive tickets.
Rush tickets are sold when the theater box offices open (typically at 10 am), so arrive early and be prepared to wait!
If this process doesn't appeal to you, you can also enter Broadway lottery programs.
Types of RUSH tickets
There are different types of Rush tickets including General Rush tickets that anyone can take try for and Student Rush tickets, which require a valid student ID.
Some shows also offer Under 35 Rush (ages 35 and under) and Senior Rush (usually over 62 or 65).
How Rush tickets work
A limited number of tickets are allotted for each performance. They are sold on a first-come, first-served basis so there is no guarantee you will get them.
Seat locations will be limited. But while you may not have the best seats, you will save a significant amount of money.
Many box offices will allow one person to buy 2 tickets, but some only allow one per person, so be sure to check with the box office of your preferred show.
You must have a valid photo ID to purchase tickets. You may need a credit card as well, but some theaters may take cash. Check with the box office in advance.
Read our tips below to improve your chances.
Digital RUSH Tickets
Instead of standing in line at the box office, you enter a lottery online on the day of the show.
TodayTix is a great place to find out which shows are offering digital Rush tickets.
Every show has its own lottery start and stop times. Shows also may have certain policies as well, such as available seat locations, so make sure you read through all the details.
Note that to use the digital Rush system, you must have a credit card to complete your purchase.
Before you read on, consider listening to an episode of our NYC Travel Tips podcast that covers discounted Broadway tickets.
This podcast offers bite-sized audio clips with tips on how to plan your trip to NYC. You can get our podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
TIPS FOR GETTING BROADWAY RUSH TICKETS
- Even though most box offices open at 10 am, people will start lining up as early as 6 or 7 am for very popular shows. There are only a limited number of in-person Rush tickets available as they are first-come, first-serve.
- If there are two of you, go to the box offices of two shows. This doubles your chances of getting tickets for a show that night. Make sure you check in advance with the box offices that one person can purchase two tickets before you try this.
- When it is your turn at the window ask if they still have Rush tickets available. If they say yes, tell them how many you would like, and you are all set. If they are out, they may offer you another option, like Standing Room Only, where you are assigned an area in the theater where you can stand.
- You can improve your chances by trying for a weeknight performance (Tuesdays through Thursdays). Weekend performances (Friday and Saturday) are the busiest nights at the theater.
Here’s a sampling of which shows are offering General Rush, Digital Rush, and Student Rush tickets as of July 2023.
Read descriptions of some of these shows from our post, Best Broadway Shows and Musicals.
We update this list every 6 months, so you might want to confirm that the show you want to see still offers these tickets.
Tip: You can click on any shows that are in bold blue text to get more information on getting discount tickets to those shows.
Back To The Future
Digital Rush with rush.telecharge.com
- Price: $45, limit 2 tickets per customer
- The Rush digital lottery will open at 12 AM on the day before the performance closing at 3 PM the day before the performance. Winners are drawn at 10:00 am and again at 3:00 pm.
- Winners will be notified by email shortly after each drawing and have six hours to claim and purchase tickets online. Tickets will be emailed.
- Payment method: Credit car
- ID: Credit card used for purchase
- Seats may be located in any section of the theater. The box office will try to seat pairs together with a full view of the stage, but there is a chance that pairs may be split up and that your seat may have a partial view of the stage.
General Rush at the Winter Garden Theatre box office
- Price: $40, limit 2 tickets per customer
- Available on the day of the performance starting at 10 am Monday-Saturday, and 12 pm Sunday
- Payment Method: Cash or credit card
- Seat Locations are determined at the discretion of the box office.
- Digital Rush with the TodayTix app. Download from todaytix.com
- Price: $47, limit 2 tickets per customer
- Tickets for that day's performance will be available on the TodayTix app at 9 am each day
- Payment Method: Credit card
- ID: Valid photo ID
- Seat Locations: Determined at the discretion of the box office
General Rush at the Ambassador Theatre.
- Price: $49, limit 2 tickets per customer.
- On sale when the box office opens, 10 am Monday–Saturday and noon Sunday
- Payment Method: Cash and credit card.
- Seat Locations: Determined at the discretion of the box office.
- Number of Tickets Available: 25.
- Special Policies: Subject to availability.
Other Shows offering Digital and/or General Rush tickets
|Beautiful Noise, The Neil Diamond Musical
|Moulin Rouge! The Musical
|Some Like It Hot
|New York, New York
|Here Lies Love
|Digital Rush & General Rush
|Digital Rush & General Rush
|El Mago Pop
|The Shark is Broken
|Just For Us
|Good Night Oscar
|The Life of Pi
For additional information on how you can enjoy New York City on a budget visit our website.