This post lists some of the best ice skating rinks in and around Boston, updated for 2021.
We provide details such as hours, prices, directions, as well as suggestions for things to do nearby.
Most of Boston's ice-skating rinks are open in the winter months (November - March).
Here are links to our posts on things to do each of those months, as well as what you can expect the weather to be.
A popular tourist destination at any time of the year, the Boston Common Frog Pond is a great rink to skate.
Not to mention that the USA Today newspaper considers it to be the best outdoor ice skating rink in the US!
It is centrally located in Downtown Boston (map + directions). You can easily combine some time on the ice with another activity.
Our post on things to do in Boston has a long list of attractions in the downtown area.
- Dates: TBA, generally mid-November 2021 - March 2022. Check their website for updates
- Hours: Varies depending on the day of the week:
- Sunday: 10 am - 9 pm
- Monday: 10 am - 3:45 pm
- Tuesday - Thursday: 10 am - 9 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10 am - 10 pm
- Christmas Eve: 10 am - 5 pm
- New Year's Eve: 10 am - 3 pm
- Admission: price based on skater’s height: 58-inches and over $6 / under 58-inches Free
- Skate Rental: $12 Adult / $6 Child
- Locker Rental: $5
- Skate Sharpening: $10/pair
- Skating Aid (Bobby the Skating Seal): $15/hr
NOTE: As of September 2021, Boston Common Frog Pond does have plans to welcome skaters back for the 2021-2022 winter season.
So many features of this indoor rink at 561 Commercial Street (map + directions) make it one to definitely consider when choosing where to skate.
First off, it's FREE! Skate rentals are just $5 or bring your own.
Secondly, you will have phenomenal views of the harbor while you skate.
Third, it is located in Boston's North End so it is walking distance to many attractions.
Lastly, it is open late on Friday and Saturday, making it a perfect destination for your night out in Boston.
For other ideas on how to spend an evening in Boston, see our post things to do at night in Boston.
- Dates: November 26th, 2021 - March 20th, 2022
- Hours: Varies by day of week
- Sunday: 3 pm - 6:50 pm
- Tuesday & Thursday: 12 pm - 2:20 pm
- Wednesday: 12 pm - 2:50 pm
- Friday: 12 pm - 3:50 pm & 7 pm - 9:50 pm
- Saturday: 4 pm - 9:50 pm
- Christmas Eve: 10 am - 2:50 pm
- New Year's Eve: 10 am - 2:50 pm
- Admission: Free
- Skate Rental: $5
Located at 1 Marbury Terrace (map + directions) in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood.
- Dates: December 18th, 2021 - March 6th, 2022
- Hours: Sun - Fri 12 pm - 7:30 pm / Sat 1 pm - 7:30 pm
- Christmas Eve & NYE Hours: 10 am - 2:50 pm
- Admission: Free
- Skate Rental: $3 for adults and $2 for children
UNDETERMINED: Skate @ Canal District Kendall
The ice skating season here begins in December with the rink's annual Holiday on Ice show at 2 pm. The rink is located in Cambridge at 300 Atheneum St (map + directions).
Though it is on the smaller side, the rink is beautifully lit at night. It is reasonably priced and easy to reach by public transportation.
- Dates: TBD
- Hours: Mon 12 pm-5 pm / Tues-Thurs 12 pm - 8 pm / Fri 12 pm - 9 pm / Sat 11 am - 9 pm / Sun 11 am - 6 pm
- Admission: Adult $5 / Students & Seniors $3/ Child under 13 $1
- Skate Rental: $8 per person (children under 13 $5)
- Locker Rental: $1
Nearby attractions include the MIT Museum, a science and technology museum the Massachusettes Institute of Technology (MIT) and the Museum of Science, a science museum with an indoor zoo with hundreds of exhibits.
NOTE: Skate @ Canal District Kendall has yet to officially announce whether or not they will be opening up for the 2021-2022 winter season. We will update this post if that changes in the near future.
Also in Cambridge at 155 Gore Street (map + directions) this indoor rink is a public hockey facility, so public skating hours are limited. However, their season is longer! You can skate from September through March!
- Dates: Sept 13th, 2021 - Apr 3, 2022
- Sept-Nov: Mon-Friday 12:30 pm - 2:20 pm
- Dec-Apr: Extra hours on Sundays from 1 pm - 2:50 pm
- Double-check their schedule before heading over.
- Admission: $6
- Skate Rental: $6
Located at 23 Newton Street (map + directions), this outdoor ice skating rink is unique in that it is open until 10 pm on Friday nights! What a great way to spend time after dark!
- Dates: TBD
- Tues & Thurs: 9:30 am - 10:30 a.m. and 10:45 am - 11:45 am
- Fri: 9:30 am -10:30 am, 10:45 am - 11:45 am, and 8 pm - 9:30 pm
- Sat & Sun: 12 pm - 1 pm, 1:15 pm - 2:15 pm, 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm, and 3:45 pm - 4:45 pm
- Resident: $7
- Non-Resident: $9
- Free for Children under 2
- Skate Rental: $7
NOTE: Dates for their 2021-2022 season have yet to be confirmed, but they do have plans to re-open again this year. Check back in October for more details.
- Boston Discount Tourist Passes
- Things to do with Kids in Boston
- Things to Do for Free in Boston
- Free Walking Tours of Boston